sky design is seeking a dynamic and experienced designer to help engage and lead our team, developing and advancing our creative and strategic thinking for projects, which often includes physical and digital signage, wayfinding, graphic design along with strong internal team management and client presentation skills. This is a robust and challenging role within a specialized area of design that requires an active, hands-on approach working with clients to develop user-oriented strategies and visual communications within the built environment; collaborating with other project design teams to develop, design, and implement environmental graphics and wayfinding; helping chart the direction, style, and methodology of our studio, as well as setting a high standard within our office culture for innovation and quality of design. Candidates must possess strong design, organizational, leadership, project management, team-building, and communication skills.
Our ideal candidate has 8+ years of design experience, with a professional background delivering and presenting graphics, signage and wayfinding, brand-related strategy, and user-focused experiences and has obtained a Bachelor’s degree in architecture, graphic design, industrial design, product design and/or similar.
Candidate must also exhibit proficiency in computer design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, CADTools, and Sketch-up. Knowledge of and familiarity with related software, such as Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, and AutoCad, are a plus.
Summary of characteristics and responsibilities include:
A focus on signage with ability to run a complex signage program from programming (including D.O.T. requirements, placement strategy, preliminary budgeting, etc. ) through design development (leading design ideation and presenting concepts and development to clients) to final documentation for pricing from third party vendors. This included project management of third party vendors through execution of production/installation.
IN-DETAIL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Ensures design and creative quality of all design projects by maintaining day-to-day knowledge and familiarity with creative aspects of all projects; enlists the participation and advocacy of leaders as appropriate
- Leads the design process for projects that run a gamut of complexity, from small-scale environmental graphic applications to large-scale urban and campus environments
- Has a strong knowledge of typography and application to three-dimensional design
- Represents the firm at initial kick-off meetings with prospective and existing clients and other meetings as appropriate to ensure client satisfaction; makes client presentations as appropriate
- Serves as top creative resource to staff designers on all project matters as well as general matters of quality and creativity
- Works to maintain documentation and detailing standards for all projects and has working knowledge of typical manufacturing materials and processes
- Reviews and approves, in concert with leaders, all design materials prior to their presentation or release to the client
- Keeps apprised of industry design trends, standards, and overall competitive environment
- Is proficient with computer design programs such as Adobe Creative Suite, CADTools, Filemaker, and Sketch-up
- Represents the organization at key industry and client functions as appropriate
- Actively supports, with time and expertise, new business opportunities with new and existing clients, serving as a key creative spokesperson at project pitches
- Aligns creative strategies with firm business objectives
- Works to obtain profitability margins
- Cross-trains members of the design staff
- Participates in performance reviews of the design staff
- Monitors work flow and skill sets of the studio and makes recommendations to leaders on required or necessary adjustments
- Works with leaders, project managers, and Operations Manager (and others as appropriate) in the development of project delivery strategies, scheduling, budgets, etc